The Press Operator is responsible for all functions associated with operating a stamping press. Duties include monitoring press performance, part quality, and efficiency maximization. Also, this person shall identify problems in processes and offer suggestions for solving the situation.
- Start machines, monitor their operations, and record operational data.
- Read work orders and production schedules to determine specifications, such as materials to be used, location of the feed line, dimensions, and tolerances.
- Examine completed workplaces for defects such as chipped edges, marred surfaces, and sort defective pieces according to types of flaws.
- The operator performs fabrication functions such as; saw, cut, shear, slit, punch, crimp, notch, bend, or straighten metal or material.
- Measure completed workpieces to verify conformance to specifications, using micrometers, gauges, calipers, templates, or rulers.
- Troubleshoot stamping operation.
- Analyze current processes and procedures and make recommendations for improvement.
- Performance of other duties and responsibilities as required by management.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Attention to Detail – Must be thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Quantity and Quality – Meets productivity standards; works efficiently, but maintains a high level of detail.
- Oral Communication – Communicate effectively, effectively presents information to individuals of the organization.
- Safety and Security – Ensures safety procedures are followed; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, procedure manuals, operating and maintenance instructions, and safety rules.
- Necessary math skills required, including the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide into all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Education and Certifications:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- A minimum of 3 years metal stamping experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.